Cucumber is the one which makes an entry to my home when summer comes. Slicing it into four and sprinkling salt, red chilli powder is my way of eating it. If it is too tender, I eat it as such.
I make cucumber buttermilk often at home during summer and I use only tender cucumbers. When a reader requested to post summer drinks, I prepared this buttermilk last week. But I didn’t have the tender cucumber by time of preparing it. So, I used the cucumber which were about to become fruit. There was no difference in taste, but additionally I ended up in filtering it out to remove seeds as it was not tender. I kept on hold to post this recipe, Since I was not satisfied with the pictures. Badly, I didn’t have any other recipes to post today and this cucumber buttermilk made an entry here.
Preparation Time: <15 minutes
Cooking Time: Nil
Serves: 2-4 persons
Cucumber – 1 cup, skin removed and sliced
Plain yogurt / Curd – 2 cups
Cold water – 2-3 cups
Ginger – 2 inch length piece, sliced
Curry leaves – 4 strings, roughly torn
Asafoetida – a big pinch
Salt – to taste
1) In a deep vessel, mix curd and water. Churn it using whisk / hand blender / Mathu. Keep it aside.
2) Take sliced cucumber and ginger in a mixer / food processor and make a smooth paste. Coarse paste is fine too if you are not able to blend it smooth.
3) Add this to the butter milk and mix well. If you find seeds, then filter it to discard seeds.
4) Add asafoetida, salt and curry leaves. Mix well again.
5) Pour in glasses and serve chill.
1) Increase or decrease the water and salt quantity as per your preference.
2) You can also do seasoning for this buttermilk. Since I prepare it often, I skip the seasoning to avoid oil to the healthy drink.
3) If you use tender cucumber(Baby Cucumber), grind it without removing skin and directly mix it with buttermilk and consume. No need to filter it out unless you find seeds.