Masala Oats with step by step pictures and a video recipe.
Masala Oats or Indian Style masala oats or Vegetables masala Oats is prepared using the plain quick cooking oats. This version includes vegetables and spices and served hot for breakfast.
I prepare this masala oats quite often during our weekend for breakfast and serve it with pickle. If you are a person who doesn’t like eat pickle in the morning, then squeeze some lemon juice towards the end for nice flavor.
I have used 3 cups of water for this recipe for 1 cup instant or quick cooking oats and cooked till it was slightly in a running consistency. It becomes thick once cool down. Adjust the water according to the consistency you need. This recipes works great with quick cooking oats and you can use any brand.
It is easy to make, hearty and filling. You can load this recipe with vegetables(if you like) and retain fresh flavors which are usually missing in store bought masala oats.
Preparation time: 7 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
2 tsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 green chilli
1/4 heaped cup onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup tomato, finely chopped
2 tbsp green peas, frozen
2 tbsp beans, finely chopped
1/4 cup carry, finely chopped
1 tsp red chilli powder or to taste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 cup quick cooking oats
2 and 1/2 cup to 3 cups water
Subscribe to my Indian Curry Trail you tube channel for more recipe videos.
Method with step by step Pictures:
1. Heat kadai with 2 tsp oil.
2. Add 1/4 tsp mustard seeds and 1/4 tsp cumin seeds. Allow it to crackle.
3. Add 1/4 heaped cup onion and sauté till it becomes soft and translucent.
4. Add 1/4 cup tomato and cook till it is slightly mushy.
5. Add 2 tbsp green peas, 2 tbsp finely chopped beans and 1/4 cup carrot. Mix well and allow it to cook.
6. Once the vegetables are cooked, add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder and salt to taste.
7. Mix well and cook till the raw smell of masala goes off.
8. Add a cup of quick cooking oats and mix well.
9. After a minute, add 2 and 1/2 cup water to 3 cups of water. Mix well.
10. Cook for few minutes till the Oats becomes thick and cooked well. Stir in between to avoid burning in the bottom of the pan.
11. Cook till you get a thick and slightly runny consistency. It becomes thick when cools down.
12. Serve warm.
1. Serve it as a morning breakfast along with sev or pickle.
1. Ginger garlic paste can be added if liked.
2. For 1 cup oats, 3 cups water gives a perfect consistency masala oats. But it can be adjusted according to the personal preference. For thick oats use 2 and 1/2 cups water and gooey consistency add 3 cups of water.
3. Add vegetables of your choice.
4. If you do not water to serve oats with pickle, then squeeze lemon juice.
5. Adjust the red chilli powder according to the spice level needed.